Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Neccesity is the Mother of Invention

(Ohmygoodness, two posts in one day! Can it be?!)
I have to preface this by saying that my first post today was only because I was waiting for someone for a good bit of time, so I decided to be productive and blog even though I had no inspiration. NOW I do.

Sometimes, actually more often that not, I need a break from work in the afternoon and a caffeine pickup, which results in a trip to the local starbucks. Let me say that I am not your snootty emo kid with a mac laptop (not that there's anything wrong with that) who drinks starbucks because it's the hip thing to do. F- that. I go to starbucks because it works on my gps rather than trying to find a random coffee shop. I MUCH rather prefer hometown coffee places because they have an ABUNDANCE of flavored syrups (which brings me to my point) and all kinds of snazzy drinks. Let's face it, after a while, starbucks can get kind of boring. So to combat this I decided to switch to Italian Sodas, or if I'm feeling fiesty, Italian Creme Sodas, which for most baristas, you have to spell out and say you want a Pelligrino over ice with your favorite syrup. However, at Starbucks they only carry two fruity syrups, melon and raspberry. As stated earlier, I get bored easily with the same thing. Today I walked into a starbucks in Weslaco and asked what fruity flavors they had, hoping for something different. The girl mentioned the usual, raspberry...melon.....strawberry... I stopped her, "Strawberry, you say?" and she said yes. I promptly grabbed the Pellegrino bottle out of the case and told her I wanted that over ice with strawberry. "Weeeelllll," she said, "it's not really a syrup, it's a smoothie base, so it's rather thick." I told her I didn't care, fix me up. She decided she would blend my Pellegrino, strawberry base and ice and it should be fine. HOWEVER, a naysayer behind the counter promptly stomped that idea out as well as the shaken idea. (Whatever, I get the reason why, but she was just all emo-ed out with black hair and sullen face and just plain mean about it.) So the inventive barista decides to blend the strawberry base with ice and THEN add it to the Pellegrino. Holy cow, it was heaven in a cup. It was like a light smoothie, without any cream, so refreshing because it was bubbly from the Pellegrino but you could still taste the REAL strawberries. OH! It was so good I went out to my car to get extra cash to tip her AND I told the manager how much rocked. She totally made my day. And I hope I made hers by bragging to her manager. I remember working in retail and how NOT often people do that. So take that you naysayer emo barista! In yo face!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mm, that sounds rather tastey!