Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Sad Day

Today one of my favorite dogs in the world passed away. Mark's dog, Winston had developed a growth in the past week that rapidly took over the right side of his throat. We took him to the vet Monday and the vet said that whatever it was was severely infected. He tried to drain it, but after the first needle, not much came out. He prescribed antibiotics and said that after the swelling went down, we would see what was left and he would treat it. The two causes of it could be a small tumor in the salivary gland that got infected or some sort of bump or irritation caused to the salivary gland. I had gone to the vet's office that morning with the expectation that he would deliver the worst news then and tell us we would have to put him down then, but instead, he seemed like everything would work out in time and it was just another obstacle Winston would be able to overcome. He mentioned that worst case scenario would be that the mass would rupture, but he described the warning signs and Winston didn't seem to have any. Well this morning, I got a call from Mark's parents. The mass had ruptured during the middle of the night and he was not doing well. The bleeding wouldn't stop and he was getting worse. I'm so upset right now, I feel like my own dog has died. So everybody give your dog a kiss and a hug tonight.

No comments: