Thursday, March 1, 2012

Making it Back.

or Why You Should Never Stop Working Out.

Most people are giving up something for 40 days during Lent. I instead, decided to start working again. For 40 days straight, I will be engaging of some form of physical exercise for at least 30 minutes. (p.s. I got started late, I'm only on day 3).

Day 1: Good. I attend a cardio dance class at an actual dance studio. I was really excited because I love loooove LOOOOOVE dancing and I was hoping that it would be a little more challenging that what I am used to at Gold's Gym. For the most part, it was about the same. I did appreciate the leg strengthening track we did that utilized ballet techniques. End of Day 1: Good.

Day 2: I happened to mention to a co-worker I was going to workout tonight and she asked where. Turns out, we're members of the same gym, so I decided to go with her for strength training. Mind you, she's a skinny little thing and I haven't lifted weights probably since.....June? Things were going great until about 20 minutes and we got to squats. I got hot, sweat began pouring dripping down my face, my legs began shaking. I felt like I was going to die and she's standing next to me, chewing gum. Normally, I love her, she's the bright peppy girl when I walk in the office who always makes me smile. That night, I wanted to punch her in the face. I made it through the class and did not die. I counted it as a success.

Day 3: I really wanted to go to church tonight since I can never make it on the weekends because of teaching, so going to a class at the gym was out of the question. So I decided that I'd just look up one of the workouts I found on pinterest and do it in my front yard. The one I found was complete 5 different jumping-type sets for 1 minute, then repeat the circuit 5x. No problem, I thought. I'll even run a little bit to make up for how easy this workout is going to be. I walked, I ran, I started the first set. "Holy crap, why is it so hard to jump?" I thought. I ended up modifying the first set so I could complete it. I was out of breath. Set two, more jumping? Seriously? Who thought of this? I made it halfway through before I needed to take a break. Jumping + Amanda do not mix. I decided to settle on three sets and then just run. Whoever thought I would choose running over anything else? It was so hard to push myself running. It's very easy to quit when someone is not next to you. I talked to myself and made my run certain distances. I thought back to 4 years ago when I ran up and down the beach without stopping, or even last year when my running out timed my walking, OR let's go way back and think back to drum corps when I could run the better part of a mile without stopping. I pushed through and made it. I felt so good. I still feel good. I LOVE the way I feel after I work out, I just hate doing it. BUT I'm determined to complete 40 days. They say it takes 28 days to start a new habit, so I'm hoping at the end of 40 days I won't be ready to give up!